Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Start of a Chilean Adventure

I’m here at SFO at the beginning of an adventure. I’ve been thinking about doing something like this for the better part of the last six months, after I realized that all of my good stories were several years old and that was disappointing. It started with a few criteria: I wanted have a concentrated experience in a new part of the world, learn something, and spend some time outdoors.

Paulo Coelho wrote, in The Alchemist, that when you really want something, the whole universe conspires to help you achieve it. That’s how it felt when I came across an opportunity to do a volunteer project with an organization in Chilean Patagonia. Plans fell into place, all three of my criteria were satisfied, and was able to take six weeks off work, between long-overdue vacation and a leave of absence.

I will spend about a month in Chile working with Patagonia Sur, a company that invests in, and protects, environmentally sensitive land in Patagonia. My project focuses on working towards certification for the company’s eco-tourism operation. While I’ll spend some time at their office in the town of Coyhaique, I’ll also get to take about two weeks at two of their properties in this region, called the Carretera Austral.

After that month, things are wide open. I’ll have about a week and a half before returning to the East Coast for Christmas, and I’m keeping that time flexible for now. Hopefully, by then, I’ll have some good tips on where to go.

I’m hoping to post updates and pictures throughout my time in Chile, but all depends on a reliable internet connection. For now, it’s on to Balmaceda (the airport serving Coyhaique) via Lima and then Santiago.

Hasta pronto.

------------------------

Note: I wrote this from the airport on November 13, but did not get to post it until November 14

1 comment:

  1. Hey I can't wait to keep reading and hear about all your stories! So jealous. I need to follow your lead and start conspiring to plan my next adventure... Hope you have a great time on all your travels! Glad you're keeping a blog to keep track of it all. -- Steph

    ReplyDelete