Friday, November 19, 2010

Rainy day in Coyhaique

My tentative plan to head out to the Reserva Nacional Coyhaique, just outside of town, was pushed off until tomorrow due to rain, so I have stayed indoors and worked on Spanish flashcards while drinking Nescafe. Yes, I've definitely come around to Nescafe after much initial skepticism. It's not the same as a good cup of fresh-brewed coffee, but it's satisfying in its own way.

Anyway, it's not a terrible way to spend a Saturday, especially with the promise of some considerable time outdoors coming up. I'm heading out very early on Monday morning to Vallee California and then over to Melimoyu (properties here). My exact itinerary is still up in the air, as it depends on other people being at the properties and transportation. But I'm hoping to be out there for about two weeks.

And I finally booked travel for my last week in Chile. I'll be heading down to Torres del Paine in the southern part of the country to do some trekking. I've drooled over pictures of Torres del Paine for years, and it looks like I'm finally going to get a chance to see it. Very exciting!

Below are a few pictures that I took last night while out for a run. It was getting dark, so the quality is not great, but they give a sense of some of the ranch land around the town.




San Francisco? Looks different than I remember it...

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that's the buffalo pen in Golden Gate Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, Torres del Paine?! Awesome!! You're gonna absolutely love it. do you know which of the backpacking routes you're taking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're getting good at taking pictures of horses along fences with scenic mountain views in the background...reminds me of the eastern sierra shot!
    -AC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You could be right, Jeff. There may actually be whole countries in Golden Gate Park that have yet to be discovered. That place is so random.

    Pete, yes, can't wait for Torres. Thinking of doing the W, which is one of the two classic trekking routes (the other being the Circuit, which takes more time than I have), but a couple of my coworkers down here guided in Torres, so I'm sure they have some suggestions. Did you get to Torres when you were in Argentina?

    Andrew, yeah, I was actually thinking of that spot right outside of Bridgeport when I took the picture - it felt quite similar. Lucky animals with their incredible views!

    ReplyDelete